Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The power of vulnerability in researching love in positive psychology

Brene Brown's talk on "The power of vulnerability" on Ted.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html) got me thinking about not just about what it means to be a good researcher but a few other things besides. About being a  good qualitative researcher of love and happiness within positive psychology to be more specific. A research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work, Brown has spent the past ten years studying vulnerability, courage, authenticity and shame. In her talk she speaks of how we tend to numb ourselves to our research situations, to cover up our own feelings, acting as though we are emotionally 'sorted'.

But, if not sorted by concealement, by covering up in the so many ways we usually do, is there a better way to deal with vulnerability?

Very often researchers get caught up in a struggle between our true selves  - if you believe in an authentic self - and the ideal researchers we ought to be. I found a big part of myself in the talk. I found myself asking: How do I separate feelings about my own vulnerability from my actual work? Do I embrace it? How does that affect my work? I mean how does it affect my authenticity?

If you study people in the way that we do it is quite important that you master this whole emotion thing. And it is a whole lot of thing, trust me. Ultimately, the question is, how do you encourage people to reveal themselves to you if you yourself are not authentic or are trying to come across as 'sorted'and 'together'? But is there anyone who would want to work with a researcher who looks like she is falling apart! 

In our work and outside work we spend most of our time trying to come across as though our lives are intact. This is especially true for young and upcoming researchers who want to make an impression.

Now there is something about the concept of reflexivity that says that researchers need to understand the influence their presence will have on the research outcomes rather than try to avoid or eliminate it. Rightfully so, but what if a big part of who you are and your presence influences or interacts with the research environment in a way that completely alters what you could've found? What if that is just part of the whole process? I mean we do aim to influence people and decisions in one way or the other. So what if being vulnerable is part of the research: should whatever the outcomes are then be accepted for what they are? I don't think so.  But, finding ourselves doing research on love and happiness, we can't run away from the fact that we have been dumped about five times by previous lovers. We are also subjects in our own right. And so perhaps that squeaky voice of the inevitabity of vulnerability is what wants to come out in my research. How about we let it be and not be horribly questioned about my biased interpretations, subjectivity and reflexivity, because none of us is invulnerable from life messiness. Whether it is love or divorce, happiness or depression, it is all through my own subjetive 'eyes' right? And that is the beauty of qualitative research: we can all see the same subject from different points of view and still find a way to validate it. After all, there are many truths and I'm sure out there someone can relate to whatever interpretation I get to.

Who said psychologitsts and researchers don't have problems? We do. Like everyone else we have been dumped before, we have failed before, we have lost the one job that matters most before! So like anyone else, we as psychologists or researchers do have issues, of course. 

Did you notice that the example of being dumped comes up a lot? If you are nodding your head and going, mmhh, I too have wondered if this is not a big part of me coming out. 

Oh well, perhaps I'll just go ahead and do some research on being dumped.

But, wait, I forgot I am supposed to be going the positive psychology route. And it might not be so bad to be less negative about love or happiness. Instead of breakups and being dumped (see, that word again!) I will study love more appreciatively. And perhaps along the way I will find a way to ensure that I never get dumped again (again) and so 'take care of my fear, my vulnerability'. Is that possible, to protect oneself from being left, if one is to live fully? On the other hand, where is the fun in that - a researcher without a story to tell. Would you want to read their work? Sounds boring. Or maybe I'm just confused, and research might give me clarity!

No comments:

Post a Comment