Monday, June 11, 2012

Taxi drivers and violence: It just goes together!


As part of planning the youth day campaign I had to meet with a group that will be performing on the day. This is an upcoming group that just recorded an album which is to be released soon. A meeting was scheduled with these three young black men who formed a group called Generation X, which I think in all honesty will blow the South African music industry away, hip-hopers better be scared. I also wanted to hear the kind of music they produce, just now they come on the day and be rapping “where the B**ches at” 
I had never seen these guys before so when I met them they were a decent group of three guys who seem very passionate about their music so we went off to their recording studio which is but a small room in someone’s backyard and also a bedroom for one of the guys. Now if you listen to their music you would think they were in an actual studio with all the advanced equipment musicians use today. The highlight for me was not really their recording studio or their music which is really great, but the actual highlight is an incidence that took place on our way to their studio. Now for the record, I just think the Western Cape has the worst taxi system I have ever come across.
So in Nyanga they have mostly ‘amaphela’ and Avanzas as taxis and not your minibus taxi. As we were driving, these guys in a car in front of us, we had taxis trying to drive over, under and between us, but that just how they drive, like they are the only people with places to get to. Unfortunately one of the ‘phelas’, a very old rusty Cressida knocked the car the group was driving in, belonging to one of them, a BMW, I’m not into cars so I wouldn’t know the model but it is one of those nice ones. To my surprise, the taxi driver did not run, he actually stopped and came to apologize. But you don’t bump a BMW (or any other car) and get away with an apology especially if you were reckless in your driving, someone has to pay. The guy driving the ‘phela’ decides he wants to call his boss, and to his luck all he did was knock the number plates off the BMW, so that is all he was asked to replace. The guys were actually nice, the deal was ‘give us R60 to replace the number plate and we will be off-no police or anything like that”. The guy refuses to pay and steps away to call his boss.
Now me I’m sitting in the car we were driving in because I just couldn’t get involved, so as I wait for the guys to sort this out I get on my phone. When I looked up 10 minutes later there are about 40 men surrounding the car, and about ten vehicles around. Some of the guys came out in groups of 5 from the vehicles and it got me scared because now I didn’t know what was going on. So the story is that the driver of the ‘phela’ stepped away to call his boss, but because he refused to pay the R60 for the new number plate, told his boss (who must’ve been at the taxi rank at the time) that he was being attacked because this boss came with what could be 39 other taxi drivers. These drivers were ready for action, and to their surprise these were just four young men, including a dear friend of mine I was driving with and all they were asking for was their R60.
The first thing this boss asked is why his driver was being attacked as that was the call he received! This scared me because today yes they found that their guy was not being attacked and the boss paid the R60 - no qualms. But given any other day let’s say that his driver was really being attacked but in self-defence, what would happen to the guy attacking the driver given the violent nature of our taxi drivers in this country and this sort of gang way of doing things. What is it with this ‘mob’ mentality among taxi drivers? I thought this was very interesting, well it shook me off a bit but it got me wondering whether being in this industry actually makes them violent or whether the violent people in our society tend to be drawn to this type of work.
Now what concerns me is that knowing they are in a way ‘protected’ by this ‘taxi gang’, taxi drivers are very likely as it the case to think they run the world and may even initiate some of these situations that end up in violent attacks. I just don’t like taxis in the Western Cape, and what is it with taxi drivers smoking in a taxi full of passengers? Once I complained to a taxi driver who was smoking in the taxi…I think you know what happened, I wanted to throw myself out of the moving taxi because he wouldn’t stop talking about how I think I’m better than him because I speak English, and how the white people came and taught us English and now we think we are all that. I think this may be an unfair generalization, but I think taxi drivers ‘abanayo ingqondo’ period!

No comments:

Post a Comment